Century Strategies, LLC, is a public relations and public affairs firm that offers a number of valuable services to businesses and corporations in a challenging and sometimes confusing public affairs environment. In a highly competitive economy with a myriad of regulatory and legislative obstacles, the outcome of a public policy debate is sometimes determined not solely by who has the best arguments but also by who does the best job of communicating their message.
The Century team has achieved results for its clients in numerous public policy and public relations issues. Its principals have extensive political backgrounds, including involvement in a combined ten presidential campaigns and 88 state and Congressional races. Their public affairs and public relations work has included electricity restructuring, banking and financial services, the entertainment industry, telecommunications, airlines and transportation, international trade, forestry and timber, and the high technology industry.
At Century, our clients are full partners in our work, providing important feedback and input into the design of the program that will meet their needs. No client is the same, and each program is customized to the unique requirements of the individual client. We are a “high touch” firm that specializes in hands-on involvement by senior management and a client executive assigned to each project.
Our firm’s ability to turn on a dime with little notice and perform under deadline and under budget is legendary among our clients. Because of the campaign backgrounds of our executives and the importance of teamwork as an organizing principle to our work, the firm regularly meets project goals and deadlines that would be unrealistic for larger firms. In addition, Century manages long-term programs for clients with multi-state and international focus and multi-year timelines.
Where business meets public affairs, Century Strategies is there. With sophisticated polling data, grassroots networks in 32 states, direct marketing capability, and the ability to conceive and place paid media campaigns, Century Strategies has helped some of the world’s premier companies achieve their goals and exceed expectations.
Winning Victories for Our Clients
Nothing takes priority for us above assisting our clients achieve their goals and realize---and even exceed---their dreams. Century has achieved victories for its clients that are far above industry standards. We have built our entire corporate culture around a client-centered, goal-oriented work product.
Just a few of our most notable victories include:
- A large energy concern found itself before a state regulatory commission in the northeast on a regulatory issue that could have adversely affected its business. A grassroots and media campaign designed by Century Strategies led to a favorable outcome that allowed it to enter a marketplace worth over $1 billion.
- A large telecommunications company hired Century Strategies to defeat a proposed federal regulation that would decimate its business. Century assembled a bipartisan coalition of grassroots organizations opposing the regulation and generated tens of thousands of emails and phone calls to Capitol Hill. The regulation died after being defeated by a single vote in a Congressional committee.
- An international client sought legislative action on an issue affecting U.S. investments that had been bottled up in a Congressional committee for a decade. After Century Strategies prepared a strategy memorandum for Congressional leaders, the legislation moved out of committee. Century then designed and coordinated a public relations campaign that led to victory by a single vote.
- A Fortune 100 timber and forestry company engaged Century to assist in winning fairer tax treatment of its investments. A grasstops campaign designed by Century won the support of key members of Congressional tax-writing committees and the passage of significant tax relief for the industry after more than five years of previously fruitless effort.
- A major film studio prepared to release a feature film dealing with sensitive issues related to religious faith. Century Strategies’ principals arranged a series of meetings with religious leaders that addressed concerns, diffused potential opposition, and led to a constructive dialogue. The film was later released without protest and grossed nearly $100 million.
- A start-up technology company featuring innovative new software sought assistance in launching its new service. Century Strategies arranged affinity-marketing partnerships reaching two million consumers, recruited a former Cabinet official to its board of directors, and arranged news conferences and media coverage. A subsequent private placement resulted in $6 million in new investment to the company.
- A technology company subject to antitrust litigation from a competitor recruited Century to design a grassroots campaign that would provide strong support for innovation rather than regulation in software. Century’s campaign led to one party dropping the litigation and another losing funding to proceed with legal action.
- A large energy concern desired to defeat a tax increase in a Midwestern state that would have cost tens of millions of dollars. Century designed a grasstops and public relations campaign that led to the defeat of the tax by the state legislature over the objections of the Governor.
- A Fortune 100 defense and aeronautics company seeking the modernization of a major military program faced opposition from a competitor. Century built a grassroots coalition of organizations that placed op eds, letters to the editor, and print ads in publications and web sites reaching millions. After the campaign, Congress approved a multi-billion modernization of the system and American soldiers were safer and better equipped.
Among the major services that Century Strategies provides to its business and corporate clients:
Strategic Advice and Counsel
While other firms make their primary emphasis direct representation, we at Century Strategies believe that overall strategy and positioning can be as important as contact with public officials. During the debate over health care reform in 1994, for example, no amount of contact with members of Congress could overcome the perception that patients could lose the ability to choose their own doctor. In the ongoing deregulation of telecommunications and public utilities, prior relationships are a poor substitute for a growing desire by consumers for greater savings and more choice. Century Strategies specializes in framing the issues and constructing the parameters of the public discourse so its clients are swimming with the tide of public opinion, not against it. Century’s principals also boast some of the best relationships with elected officials and policy makers in the industry, from statehouses to the United States Congress.
Grassroots and Grasstops Programs
Century Strategies has among its principals some of the nation’s most respected grassroots organizers. With full-time staff in five states and an infrastructure of grassroots operatives in 32 states, Century Strategies can provide immediate organizational capabilities in every region. Previous campaigns have included generating letters and phone calls, petition drives, rallies or news conferences, the formation of citizen groups, and turning out supporters to town hall meetings and other public forums. Century has demonstrated a capability for executing long-term grassroots campaigns with multi-state dimensions and extended timelines or responding immediately to an urgent matter or crisis situation.
Past Century-directed grassroots campaigns have taken place in Ohio, Illinois, Pennsylvania, California, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Wisconsin, Oregon, New Mexico, Michigan, Texas, Alabama, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida, Washington, and Mississippi.
Public Relations and Communications
In today’s crowded information society, business achieves its objectives by developing a respected brand name and a winning message that is communicated to a target audience through multiple media. Century Strategies specializes in advising its clients on how to develop, manage, and communicate a successful message through a skillful combination of earned and paid media. Through its ream of speech writers and communication consultants, Century provides corporate CEOs and their management teams with assistance in speech preparation and delivery, development of theme and message, and dealing with the national and regional media. Specific available services range from drafting a speech for a corporate leader and preparing testimony for a public policy body to developing a comprehensive message for long-term projects. Century Strategies also enjoys extensive relationships in the major media, from national newspapers to broadcast outlets. We have consistently gotten the success story of our clients in front of the people who make the news and distribute the news.
Public Attitudes and Opinion Research
Century Strategies deals with public opinion research data for a wide range of clients, and has an ongoing familiarity with attitudes on a wide range of subjects, including trade, taxes, the budget, moral and cultural attitudes, the environment and industry-specific issues. Century has partnered with leading research firms to conduct public opinion research and interpret data for its clients. Knowing the public opinion marketplace is the most important prerequisite in achieving public policy objectives.
When a major film studio sought outreach to the faith community prior to the release of a film dealing with sensitive issues, Century Strategies’ principals arranged for meetings with some of the top opinion-makers in key constituencies. The result was strong support and extensive praise for the film from the targeted audience. When it comes to building relationships with those in key constituencies, Century Strategies is one of the premier firms in the nation. Whether building bridges to the conservative and faith communities through the involvement of our principals, or partnering with others to reach minority, consumer, and union constituencies, Century has a proven track record of success. The trust and reputation of the firm among these communities is the strongest in the industry.
Capabilities and Assets
Century Strategies is positioned to provide this high quality services because of its unique blend of existing capabilities and assets. Our firm combines:
- the ability of our principals to communicate directly key opinion leaders regarding an important public policy issue;
- a team of veterans with a combined total of 88 political campaigns over the past twenty years, including a total of ten presidential campaigns who understand the interaction between issues and public opinion;
- an existing grassroots public affairs infrastructure in 32 states with the ability to generate a significant outpouring of letters, phone calls, telegrams, and personal contacts by close associates of a lawmaker or regulator;
- proprietary grassroots lists either owned, managed, or accessed by Century with over 800,000 names with current address and phone data;
- an in-house direct marketing capability to reach your target audience.
These are the services and capabilities of Century Strategies. But in the end we are the sum of the unique personalities that make up our team. We look forward to getting to know you better and introducing you to our company.